In 1789 Dr. John Greenwood, the Father of Modern Dentistry, delivered the first of four sets of dentures to our most famous local resident, President George Washington. The next century was the age of blacksmiths and barber surgeons. It wasn’t until the early 20th century that Alexandria received its first formally trained dentist. In 1909 Dr. John Ashton, a graduate of Georgetown University School of Dentistry, proudly hung his shingle in Old Town Alexandria.
In the late 1950’s a group of prominent local dentists formulated the Alexandria Dental Society and met at the Old Club on the corner of Washington and Gibbon Streets in Old Town Alexandria. Its first slate of officers was Dr. Ralph Karau, president, Dr. Charles Fletcher, vice president, and Dr. Berton Rudin, secretary. See newspaper article.
Currently, the society dinner meetings are held at either the Union Street Public House or Belle Haven Country Club in Alexandria, Virginia.